I love this soup. This is another recipe I have been making for so long that I have no idea where it came from (again if it is from you, let me know so I can credit you properly). In fact, I've been making this for so long that I have the recipe memorized. This is a super healthy and super easy soup that is delicious hot, but I love it cold. I make a big batch of it and portion it into single serving containers. That way I can grab one from the fridge and it's ready to go. It is a perfect accompaniment to a sandwich or salad for a healthy summer meal.
2 medium leeks, green parts removed halved lengthwise and sliced thin
1 large carrot, halved lengthwise and sliced thin
1 medium potato, chopped to 1/2" cubes
1 clove garlic, minced
4 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced thin
4 cups (one box) chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 cup basil, chiffonaded (roll up a stack of leaves and slice thinly to make little ribbons) not pictured
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add leeks and carrot and sautee until just softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add potato and garlic, sautee another 5 minutes.
3. Add zucchini and broth. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered about 30 minutes or until vegetable are soft.
4. Remove from heat, stir in basil.
5. If you have an immersion blender, stick it in and blend until smooth. If you have a regular blender or food processor, allow to cool a bit before blending it in batches.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy hot or chill before serving.
We had a beet salad from the market to accompany our soup for tasty dinner.